1. If you can’t sleep, get out of bed. Experts say if you stress out in bed you’ll associate negative feelings toward where you sleep. So go read a book on the couch.
2. Turn off your phone! The blue light can trick your mind into thinking it’s daytime. Give yourself 30 minutes before bed to unplug.
3. Try meditation or practiced relaxation. Your body will produce stress hormones if you’re anxious. Try relaxing one part of your body at a time starting with your toes and working your way up. Lots of people fall asleep before they reach their head!
4. It sounds counter-intuitive, but try to stay awake. It’s easier to sleep when you’re not obsessing over it. One study shows obsessing over staying awake has the opposite effect.
5. Stick to a routine. The more consistently you set your bedtime the quicker your body recognizes it’s time to shut down.
6. Do something mindless. Experts recommend counting backwards from 100 in multiples of 3. The more bored you are, the faster you’ll fall asleep.